A sexual dysfunction in which an individual has low libido or lack of sexual desire is called Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD). This disorder may be a long-term condition or persistent in some cases only. In this document, we will talk about HSDD symptoms, causes, treatment, and others.
Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder
A medical condition characterized by a lack of sexual desire in both males and females is called HSDD. This disorder is considered one of the most common sexual dysfunctions that affects people of all sexual orientations and genders. HSDD affects roughly 30-35% of females and 15% of males in the United States. Sexual dysfunction may cause significant problems for your overall well-being (such as feelings of distress, frustration, low self-esteem, and others). It also can provoke emotional problems among partners and communication breakdowns. That’s why you should pay attention to this disorder.
Causes of HSDD
Many factors may cause this condition such as psychological, physical, and hormonal problems. It is important to diagnose the cause of this health condition because it will help to get an effective treatment. Check below some causes of HSDD:
- Psychological Factors – Stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental problems can lead to HSDD.
- Hormonal Levels – If you experience changes in hormones such as Testosterone, Estrogen, or Progesterone, it also may negatively affect your sex drive.
- Serious Health Diseases – There are some diseases that may also provoke HSDD such as Diabetes, chronic pain, cardiovascular disease, hypothyroidism, and others.
- Medications – If you are on treatment with any of the following medicines may also cause reduced sexual desire as a side effect. For example antidepressants, antihypertensive drugs, hormonal contraceptives, and others.
Misuse of alcoholic drinks, street drugs, or smoking also may be factors that can cause HSDD. Additionally, if you experienced sexual assault or abuse also may contribute to low sex drive. When your thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone is called Hypothyroidism.
Symptoms of HSDD
The following symptoms commonly are different among people. Check some examples below:
- A person with this disorder usually reports absent sexual fantasies or thoughts, which are very important in engaging in sexual intercourse.
- If a person experiences a significant decrease in the desire to have sex (including trust-building exercises with your partner or sexual contact).
- Individuals with HSDD commonly experience emotional or interpersonal problems in intimate their partner.
- Those who experience this condition are usually not interested in sexual stimuli such as erotica or circumstances that trigger a sexual reaction.
- Commonly, people with HSDD do not have initiative in sexual activity.
HSDD may affect your overall health and you may feel disappointed or frustrated. Consult a doctor to diagnose your condition and prescribe you a suitable treatment.
Treatment of HSDD
The treatment usually depends on the individual symptoms, causes, and severity. The first FDA-approved drug that helps to treat HSDD in women is Flibanserin. However, Bupropion also may be used as an effective treatment of HSDD, according to a study. In any case, do not administer any medicines without a doctor’s prescription because it may lead to unwanted results.