This question usually leads to misconceptions and stereotypes about the behavior of females and males. Commonly, is considered that men have a higher libido than women. In this document, we will clarify who is more sexually active males or females.
Who is more sexually active?
When it comes to sex, men have a more direct approach and this makes a big difference in sexual drive among men and women. There are several factors that influence men’s sexual desire. For example biological, psychological, societal, relational, and sexual factors. In addition, it is like thirst and hunger, which are typically physical needs for males.
In any case, there is no straight answer to who is more sexually active because many biological and sociocultural factors affect a person’s sexuality. Sexuality for women is a part of their personality, which depends on the female’s feelings. Usually, females are sexually active during adolescence and reach their peak of orgasmic frequency approximately in their 30s. However, after menopause, this level remains normal.
Commonly, men are more sexually active than women. Usually, it is due to higher testosterone levels in males. But, sexual desire in men may fluctuate as they age. In some cases, both females and men are unable to respond to sexual arousal. One cause of sexual dysfunction may be Female Sexual Arousal Disorder (FSAD) in women or Erectile Dysfunction (ED) in men. In any case, these conditions are treatable and females may use FDA-approved medicines such as Flibanserin and Sildenafil Citrate for males.
Several biological factors may affect sexual desire in both men and women. According to a study, hormones (including testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone) are directly linked to libido and sexual activity. However, testosterone is usually associated with men and higher sex drive. But, testosterone levels fluctuate from person to person. Progesterone and Estrogen influence women’s sexual desire but also may differ from person to person. In addition, Dopamine and Serotonin also contribute to sexual satisfaction and motivation. If the areas in the brain that produce these two substances are affected, you may notice decreased or increased sexual desire.
Talk with a healthcare professional if you experience low libido because it may lead to relationship problems.
The following factors may significantly affect sexual desire. Check some examples below:
- Cultural diversity and intersectionality – It is recommended to manage identities that intersect with social influences that may affect your sexual behavior and activity.
- Stigma and social support – Resources for sexual health, open communications, and positive attitudes to sexuality should be promoted in supportive situations.
- Gender roles and power dynamics – When it comes to males’ and females’ sexual wants, expression, and consent, traditional gender sets precise expectations and behaviors.
- Societal norms and expectations – Commonly, people are expected to fulfill their sexual roles based on gender. However, these norms and views of sexual acts might establish sexual orientation.
There are some key factors that it is important to consider when examining sexual activity and behavior. One important factor is respect and acknowledging each person’s decisions and experiences. Check below some essential ideas that may help to understand each other preferences:
- Different levels of sexual desire and interest
- Sexual orientation and identity
- Relationship dynamics
- Past experiences and trauma